Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 - Ready or Not Here I Come

For the first time in as long as I can remember I think I am ready for the new year.  No new year resolutions for me, or at least, not in the usual sense.  The whole year of 2013 was a constant challenge.  One thing after another - close friends dying unexpectedly, other friends moving, me having to move three times, and my much loved dog dying - and yet somehow I managed not to fall into the doldrums too much.  It seems as though the more that hit me the more vulnerable and yet more trusting I became - trusting that I would be ok no matter what.  Events were happening so fast there for a while I just didn't have time to dwell on anything too much.

Looking back over this last year I know I'm a very different person to who I was twelve months ago.  I have slowed down a lot.  No more hectic chasing after things that just don't matter.  No more giving energy to people or projects that are dead ends.  I don't mean that unkindly.  I just don't have the energy to pour into those who don't want to help themselves.  Most importantly I've given up trying to make things happen.  Now that was a major energy waster!  Things worked out just fine in ways I never thought possible when I finally was too exhausted to plan anything.

This year I have a few intentions - a few ideas of what I would like to have happen - but I am not making any plans as to how to make them happen.  I am going to keep things as simple as possible.  I will as best I can stay focused on one thing at a time, not get into a flap over what I think I should be doing, and allow life to unfold as it will.


These horses are enjoying sharing - competing for the goodies isn't necessary.



This old windmill reminds me of simpler times.



This year I will take time to enjoy nature.

I shall use these two beauties to inspire me to just take it easy.
Linking to Friday My Town Shoot Out!  Please hop on over and see how others around the world are going to approach the new year.

15 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Barb, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog...Yes, indeed, I'm glad 2013 is over with, too! Take care, my friend.
Cheryl Ann
Where are you now? Gosh, I didn't realize you moved THREE TIMES! Wow!

Unknown said...

Wow that was a rough year. I heard some wise words in that post. I do believe the hard times help us realize what truly matters. I used to push myself to help others and then end up angry at myself for stretching myself too far. 76 years old is time to realize one's limitations. I don't like that but I am doing it. One missionary trip to Belize and I was inspired to slow down. Love the shot of the windmill.

Anonymous said...

Dear BARB...
How delightful to start the new year hearing from you and enjoying your marvelous pictures.
You are a marvelous master of picturing life and the reality all around us, that we often just take for granted
and don't really appreciate or even notice.

Thank you for including me among your friends. I miss Patti and all HER friends that I was privileged to know and enjoy. You are an artist with great skills for giving a glimpse of life that is unique and beautiful. Your new year's greeting is especially appreciated...bringing back memories of the good times we shared with Patti and each other. So glad you feel READY for the new year...I do too and can't wait to see and feel the coming events and activities that will inspire and enlighten our lives and bring us the joy of living in our new world each day. I wish you blessings for the coming year and beyond...happiness in all that you do and accomplish...satisfaction with all your new experiences and growth. I am grateful to Patti for bringing you into my life.
Your "old" friend...

Chuck Leviton

Barb said...

Hi Cheryl,
Happy New Year to you. Yes, poor Fuzzy had to be put down at the end of August. I was too upset to post about it. Still am, actually. From what I've read your year has been quite a challenge, too. A couple of years ago a friend of mine who is quite psychic told me that we'd all better hang on to our asses cos we are going for a ride!! She wasn't kidding. Let us hope for everyone's sake that 2014 has a gentler energy to it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,
Happy New Year and New Moon. I agree with everything you said. I am ready for a life of quality. Quality friends, quality time spend in ways that uplift my spirit and others, quality remuneration for services I preform joyfully, quality health, well the best in all ways. I am excited about the next year. The www.creativenumerology.com site basically said a 4 year is a bugger if we don't learn our lessons and that a 5 is a great year for taking seeds planted, starting to see the harvest. I am willing to focus this new year on what is working for me, a big enough inspiring goal to keep me energized and doing it all with ease and grace.

I am so glad you are in my life and we are walking similar paths because when we reach the finish line we will be so proud of what we have accomplished.

Hope to see you soon. Might be time for a Clementines if you are down towards Barnes and Noble. Let me know.
Hugs,
K
P.S. Thanks for sharing.

Mersad said...

I wish you all the best in the new year and that your sorrows are far behind you so that you can experience this new year from another perspective thank you for sharing your story and images with us

aspiritofsimplicity said...

wow...that's pretty neat to have that pretty bird eating out of your hand.

Barb said...

Thank you, Mersad. If I start feeling down I can think of all those others who are a whole lot worse off than me, then I can go into gratitude :)

desertsandbeyond said...

I sure hope so, Barb! Really, though, you lost your dog, I lost Cali...I DID rehome a 6 year old female German Shepherd, Lady, who lives up to her name. She is wonderful...well trained and quiet and calm! A colleague had her, decided she was too big, and needed a home for her, so I offered. She does have allergies, however, and I just spent $200 at the vet for all kinds of medications for her. But, she's worth it! Yes, 2013 was quite a ride!

GingerV said...

Barb, your post and mine could almost be superimposed one on the other. The tone of , the words, the hope for the next year sounds so familiar. I like all the photos but either the bird or the cat is my favorite - how you managed either is beyond me. Great photography. Ginger

Anonymous said...

Thank you my dear Barb for being you. Wow! its a gift . Gala

An English Shepherd said...

Sorry to read about your loss :-( Hears wishing you a great 2014:-)

Barb said...

Thank you.....sigh....

Louisette said...

Hi, beautifull fotos and post, have a nice sunday.

Kerry said...

What a terrible year. So sorry about the loss of your dog, and of friends all at once. May 2014 be a better time for you.
Your photos are wonderful: I really like the moon peeking through that old windmill.