Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ducks in a Row?


The expression 'having to get my ducks in a row' means attempting to get control of various circumstances and situations in order for a planned action to be successful. Never an easy thing to do.

I have found when I try to control a situation too rigidly, I'm cutting myself off from the creative flow and can be setting myself up for failure. At the very least an action is postponed. I am learning that if I can get most of the ingredients in position then forge ahead allowing myself to be in the moment, then very often those last couple of ducks will find their place. Usually it's not where I was trying to force them to fit, either, but where they are most beneficial to a successful outcome. Or not. It is then that I find I really didn't need them anyway.

Life has a miraculous way of sorting itself out if we just allow it to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, great photo and great commentary. I think your words go along well with the Sufi philosophy of life, their mantra of living....1. show up 2. pay attention 3. tell your truth and then, 4. don't be attached to the outcome. No matter how hard you try, ducks will not be in a row, nor will five toddlers take a nap at the same time. Namaste, Patti

Barb said...

Oh my! I think ducks may be easier to deal with than toddlers, lol. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!! Words to live by!!!

B. R. Smith said...

okay, Barb, when are you going to start of that book?! :)