Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Keeping in Touch

Our lives are becoming more hectic and although there is a huge push afoot to simplify, it is easier said than done. The internet is a powerful tool for sending a message to one person, or to the masses, instantaneously. Sending texts or emails to the latest personal communication gadget has become the accepted way to dialogue with one another. Just as fast as the message is sent, it is usually deleted. It disappears back into the ether without further thought.

Every once in a while I like to sit down with a cup of coffee and take the time write a long, thoughtful letter to a friend, or perhaps a relative. I smile when I imagine them dragging that endless pile of fliers and bills out of their mailbox and finding my letter buried amongst them. An invitation to find a moment to relax and maybe even think about others who would appreciate being remembered the old fashioned way. And do you know what? That letter is probably going to be around and revisited for quite a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb,great photo and a wonderful message. You are so right in your observations of our way of communicating in the world today. Between all the trite "lol's" and instant messages, we are indeed quick to hit the delete button on life. Ah, the treasure of all those thoughtful letters will remain, tied with a ribbon and kept tucked away in a drawer somewhere, always remembered and sacred. Namaste, Patti

Barb said...

Thank you.

desertsandbeyond said...

Barb, what a beautiful photo (again!). I like to sit down and write my aunt a letter about once a week, even though she lives in Indio. My grandmother used to write me and I saved her letters, only to lose them when our house flooded in 1979 (July). How I wish I still had them! So, now I write to my aunt.

Rambling Woods said...

I love the hummer header...yes, I guess I an old fashioned fartie too... Michelle